Pages

Oct 19, 2012

HALLOWEEN DIY FRIDAY: Striped Candles!

I'm calling this a Halloween DIY Friday, because I'm using these candles for our Halloween mantel- but really- who doesn't love a good stripe any time of year?

A few weeks ago I came across some candlesticks selling on One King's Lane. To be honest, I've never purchased anything from the site because I'm Cheapo McCheaperson (though they do have some fabulous things!) but I do like to get on and browse from time to time. Well anyway, I came across these candlesticks and immediately knew I wanted to make my own.
 So first things first. Can you paint candles? Does it have to be a specific kind of paint? Are the candles safe to light after? I did a little research and this is what I've come up with.

Yes! You can paint candles. Some say you need to mix regular acrylic (craft) paint with candle painting medium in order for it to adhere to the candles. Others said this wasn't necessary. All you need to do is clean the candle with rubbing alcohol before painting. I couldn't find any of the medium in stores nearby and shipping was going to take a few weeks (no patience for that!) so I went with the rubbing alcohol. I haven't had any problems.

From what I read it is safe to light the candles if you use water-based paint. I'm definitely no expert so use caution please if you do decide to light 'er up!

Enough of that. Here's how I did it.


1. Gather supplies: candles, rubbing alcohol (whatever percentage you have), acrylic paint, and painters tape- I like Frog Tape.

2. Clean the candles well with the rubbing alcohol

3. Measure and tape off your stripes. My candles were ten inches tall and I spaced each of my stripes by two inches.

4. Paint your stripes with the tape. Start your stroke on the tape and paint down, away from the seal. This will keep your lines crisp.

5. Remove your tape while it's wet, let dry completely. Do a happy dance.

SO EASY, RIGHT?

Chances are most of you have all the supplies at home, and if not, this is a cheap little DIY regardless (see above: Cheapo McCheaperson).

It was so fun, my son even painted one along with me. Here's a shot of the candles on our mantel this year. See more pictures here, if you're interested. And if you're interested in making the little ghosts, check out this post.


Have a great weekend! xo.

 





PS. If you think your latest DIY project would be a good candidate for the Homeslice DIY Friday Series, send me an email at jennalynpitt@gmail.com with a link to your post. I'll be happy to look it over (and give you mad props and lots of compliments. Total ego booster.)


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the candle idea! I'm going to have to try that next year. Also, I just read your ghost craft, which was amazing! I thought you had bought them from a sweet little gift shop or something. I love crafty things that look so chic.

    Oh, and thanks so much for your comment on my blog! Yours is definitely one of my "must reads" now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okayyyy so easy!!! I didn't expect that! I love them baby!!!! I miss you:)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking a minute to comment, I love hearing what you think! You rock.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...