Pages

Oct 12, 2012

HALLOWEEN DIY FRIDAY: Adorable (Easy!!) Ghosts

Last year around this time I came across these fondant cupcake toppers on the Etsy shop Mimicafeunion. They're adorable. If you're in the market for toppers, check them out! I loved them but wanted something a little less on the edible side. :)

So I made up these little ghost sculptures, and they're so much simpler than you might think. Really! Anyone can do this- even kids!


1. Start with oven-bake clay, I bought Sculpy from Hobby Lobby- make sure to print out the 40% off coupons they have online and you'll save yourself some of the cost. I don't like air dry clay for this project because it tends to crack as it dries, you want something that will stay smooth.

2. I found the easiest way to get a smooth ghost shape is to first roll the clay into a round ball. 3. Then put more pressure on one side as you roll to create a cone.

4. Shape the top into a point and bend one way if desired.


5. Bake the clay according to your package directions. Mine said to bake at 275 for 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness. For me, that ended up being between 75 and 90 minutes.

6. Sand with fine grit sand paper if you want the ghosts to be smoother.

7. Spray paint the ghosts whiter if desired (I actually like the natural clay color but needed ours to be white because they sit on our white mantle) and add eyes and/or other details with puff paint.

Finished! Like I said, this was an easy project. and the end result is quirky, simple, and fun. Customize to make them your own, and the options are endless!



If you want to see more of our simple Halloween mantle, click here. Have a great weekend!

 





If you think your latest DIY project would be a good candidate for the Homeslice DIY Friday Series, send me an email at jennalynpitt@gmail.com with a link to your post. I'll be happy to look it over (and give you mad props and lots of compliments. Total ego booster.)

 Linked at Fingerprints on the Fridge, My Romantic Home, AKA Design, The 36th Avenue, Ten June
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. These are beyond precious! What a cute idea! I might have to try these next year : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh! these are so cute, i love them! what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete

THANK YOU for taking a minute to comment, I love hearing what you think! You rock.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...